See how land use planning is happening in the Far North of Ontario
Read the 2010 State of the Aggregate Resource in Ontario Study
Watch a video on Land Information Ontario – the source for Geographic Information Systems data in Ontario
Land in Ontario
Ontario covers more than one million square kilometres – and 85 per cent of that area is land. Our land and its rich variety of landscapes and habitats is the foundation of a healthy natural environment. It provides us with parks and wild spaces to enjoy. And the resources it contains provide jobs and help support a vibrant economy.
Our Role in Land Use Planning and Land Management
- Crown Land Management
Providing for the orderly use and sustainable development of Ontario’s Crown land; includes information on Crown land recreation, Crown land tenure, work permit requirements and land management policies and procedures
- Crown Land Patent Records
Facts on Crown land patents and how to apply for a copy of a Crown land patent record
- Crown Land Planning
Providing broad and area-specific policies on how Crown land can be used
- Municipal Planning
- Niagara Escarpment Program
- Aggregate Resources
Managing aggregate resources such as stone, sand and gravel in Ontario
- Far North of Ontario
Community based land use planning in the Far North of Ontario
- Office of the Ontario Mining and Lands Commissioner
Decisions on applications and appeals regarding the Mining Act, the Conservation Authorities Act, the Oil, Gas and Salt Resources Act, the Assessment Act (Managed Forests and Conservation Lands), the Aggregate Resources Act and the Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act.
Protecting Ontario's Natural Heritage
- Land Use Planning
- Land Securement Program
Working with partners to conserve and protect provincially significant natural features on private land in Ontario
- Conservation Land Tax Incentive Program
Helping landowners protect Ontario's natural heritage
- Managed Forest Tax Incentive Program
Do you qualify for a tax reduction on your forested land?
You Wanted to Know
- Is there Crown land for sale?
- When is a work permit required?
- How can I lease Crown mineral rights for oil or natural gas resources?
- What's a great way to help provide communities with clean water, reduce flooding and ensure good fishing?
Help Protect and Manage Crown Land in Ontario
- If you are witness to a resource violation within Ontario, please call the Ministry of Natural Resources TIPS line at: 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)
- Read and comment on recent Environmental Registry postings