The Ministry of Natural Resources oversees the management of Ontario's Crown forests to ensure their long-term health. Covering almost two-thirds of the province's landbase, our forests provide a range of economic, social and ecological benefits that enhance our way of life. From the tolerant hardwoods and deciduous forests in the south, to the boreal forest in the north, our forests have helped shape our province and will continue to do so for many generations to come.
Whether you are a consumer, builder, designer or architect, look for the leaf to be sure it's Ontario Wood. Choose Ontario wood!
Forests are managed to enhance or protect wildlife habitat and other values.
Ontario's forests are vulnerable to insects and pests, such as the emerald ash borer and Asian long-horned beetle.
Our Role in Forestry
Promoting a Strong, Prosperous and Healthy Forest Industry
- Forest industry at a glance (mills, maps, licensees)
- Crown timber use (allocation, licensing, pricing, and wood measurement)
- Business development and investments
Promoting Sustainable Forest Management
- Forest Policy and Laws
- Forest management planning
- Renewing the forest
- Keeping our forests healthy (insects and diseases)
- Monitoring and reporting on Ontario's forests
- Forest publications
- Forest tenure and pricing modernization
- Stumpage and Forestry Futures Trust charges
- Facts about our forests
- Forest management plans
Where Can I Find…
- Tree seedlings
- Jobs and careers in forestry
- Information and programs for landowners
- Ontario’s Tree Seed Facility
Make A Difference
- Ontario Wood - Look for the leaf
- Dig in and Plant a Tree!
- Have a say in the future of our forests
- Get involved! Stewardship councils can help good ideas become great projects
- Do you own forested land? Find out if you are eligible for a reduction in property taxes.
- Algonquin Forestry Authority
- Canadian Forest Service
- Canadian Model Forest Network
- Landowner Resource Centre
- Ontario Forestry Association
- Ontario Professional Foresters Association
- Ontario Stewardship
- Ontario Woodlot Association