What is rabies?
Rabies is a contagious disease. It can be transmitted to both people and animals through a cut or a scratch from an infected animal.
The disease attacks the central nervous system and, if left untreated, is always fatal. The chance of running into a rabid animal in Ontario is very low. But if you see or come into contact with an animal you think has rabies, call your local health unit or your family doctor immediately.
How do I know an animal is infected with rabies?
Most rabid animals show these signs:
- They are extremely excited
- They may attack objects or other animals
- They may froth at the mouth
- They may bite at anything
Top 5 downloads:
- Rabies Vaccine Bait Information Sheet
- 2012 Rabies Control Operation Map
- Rabies Cases: January - December 2011
- The Facts About Raccoon Rabies
- Protecting Your Family and Your Pets