What is a non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card and who needs to purchase one?


A non-Canadian resident is defined as a person who is neither an Ontario resident nor a Canadian resident.

Ontario resident definition
Canadian resident definition 

What is a non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card?


A non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card is a plastic, wallet-sized card issued by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and used for identification and administrative purposes.


Is a non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card a fishing licence?


No.  For non-Canadian residents, a complete and valid licence to fish in Ontario consists of:


  • a non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card (plastic) or a Non-Canadian Resident Temporary Outdoors Card


  • a valid non-Canadian resident fishing licence tag carried as a separate document.


An Outdoors Card alone is NOT a fishing licence.



Who needs to purchase a non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card and fishing licence tag to fish in Ontario?


Anyone who lives outside of Canada is considered a non-resident for the purposes of fishing licence regulations. Most non-residents need a fishing licence to fish in Ontario. Specifically:


  • Non-Canadian residents 18 years of age and over must purchase a fishing licence.
  • Non-Canadian residents under 18 years of age may fish without a licence if accompanied by a person who has a valid Ontario-issued recreational fishing licence (or deemed licence). Any fish caught are part of the catch and possession limit of the person who holds the licence. As another option, non-Canadian residents under 18 years may purchase a licence and any fish caught apply to the catch and possession limits of that licence.
  • Non-Canadian residents 65 years of age or older are not exempt from licensing requirements.


NOTE: Non-Canadian residents camping on Crown land in Northwestern Ontario (Zones 2, 4, 6 and Zone 5 except in the border waters area) must observe Conservation Licence limits except for in the border waters area (see Licences for Provincial and International Border Waters).


For non-Canadian resident groups of children (at least five people under the age of 18 years accompanied by a licenced adult) there is a special Licence for Members of an Organized Camp. This licence is available from licence issuers and ServiceOntario offices.



Where can I purchase a non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card and fishing licence tag?


man and son fishing

A non-Canadian resident can purchase an Outdoors Card and fishing licence online and print an E-licence for instant use.


Non-Canadian resident anglers may also purchase a fishing licence that is effective immediately at more than 800 licence issuer locations and ServiceOntario centres throughout the province. A range of licences is offered to suit individual needs.


What should I do if my non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card is lost, stolen or destroyed?


If your non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card or any part of your licence is lost, stolen or destroyed, call the Outdoors Card Centre at 1-800-387-7011 to arrange for a replacement. In some circumstances there may be a replacement fee.

How can I get more information about the Outdoors Card?


The staff at the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources' Outdoors Card Centre would be pleased to answer your questions.


You may reach the Outdoors Card Centre (toll free) at 1-800-387-7011 from anywhere in North America.


The hours of operation of the Outdoors Card Centre are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).



What else should I know about my Outdoors Card?


Here are other important things to keep in mind:


  • You must notify the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources of any address or name change within 10 days of the change. You can do this by calling the Outdoors Card Centre at 1-800-387-7011 toll free from anywhere in North America.
  • You must carry your Outdoors Card and fishing licence tag, or your fishing licence tag and temporary Outdoors Card, on your person whenever you are fishing.  If a Conservation Officer asks to see your Outdoors Card, the law states you must show it.
  • Your Outdoors Card is not transferable to another person - it provides privileges to you alone.
  • You may legally apply for one Outdoors Card only. It is an offence to attempt to obtain more than one card. It is also an offence to provide false information on a card application.
  • If you have applied for an Outdoors Card and have not received it by the end of the calendar year, please call the Outdoors Card Centre at 1-800-387-7011.