The Grand Prize winner in the eleventh annual Kids' Fish Art Contest receives a 3-day fishing trip from Pine Portage Lodge!
This fall is your chance to show off your artistic talents, and learn about Ontario's native fish and their habitats!
The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, along with its corporate partners, will hold its 11th Annual Kids’ Fish Art Contest from October 1 to November 29, 2013.
Contest species in 2013 are the largemouth bass and the bloater (a species of cisco). The winning design will be used for the 2014 Young Angler's Licence.
Thank you to all the students who submitted entries in our 10th annual Kids' Fish Art Contest. Winning entries were announced at the Toronto Sportsmen's Show on February 8, 2013. Chinook salmon and longnose gar were the official fish of the 10th annual contest. Our judges were looking for artwork that depicted these fish in their natural habitat.
The Kids' Fish Art Contest is open to all students who live in Ontario and are between grades four and twelve.
Here is what you need to know:
- Entries will be judged on the quality of the artwork and artistic interpretation.
- All artwork must be the contestant's original, hand-done creation. Photographs, tracings, computer-generated artwork and freehand copies of other people's work will not knowingly be accepted. We are interested in your artistic interpretation of the fish in its habitat.
- All artwork must be horizontal, 8.5" by 11", without a mat, frame, cover sheet or border.
- Art techniques may include scratch-board, pointillism, acrylics, oil, dry brush, watercolour, pencil crayon, crosshatch, collage, linoleum printing or crayon. Artwork must not exceed 1/4" in total thickness.
- Please - no lettering, signatures or initials on the front of the design. Any artwork with such markings will be disqualified.
- Only one entry per student will be accepted.
- Entries must be postmarked no later than November 29, 2013.
This is what you need to include:
- a completed entry form (Download Contest Entry Form (PDF, 270 kb) (NOTE: For best results we recommend that you save the entry form to your own computer for viewing and printing. Windows/Linux users: right-click on the link and select your web browser's save option; Mac users: hold-click on the link and select your web browser's save option.)
- the artwork
- a one-page essay about your fish (largemouth bass or bloater), its habitat, and how to protect it for future generations. Please include your name and address on your essay.
If submitted artwork does not meet these requirements, it will not be considered.
Mail your entries to:
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Kids' Fish Art Contest
Fish and Wildlife Services Branch
P.O. Box 7000, 300 Water Street
Peterborough ON K9J 8M5
Attn: Jeff Standaert (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)